Sunday, March 12, 2017

My Definitive Cut, 2016

That long overdue time of the year where I present my favourite films of last year.



















There are 21 nominees in the year of 2016 (in alphanumeric order):
ARRIVAL (Denis Villeneuve)
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR (Joe & Anthony Russo)
ELLE (Paul Verhoeven)
FIRE AT SEA (Gianfranco Rosi)
HACKSAW RIDGE (Mel Gibson)
HANDMAIDEN, THE (Park Chan-wook)
HELL OR HIGH WATER (David Mackenzie)
I, DANIEL BLAKE (Ken Loach)
JACKIE (Pablo Larrain)
KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS (Travis Knight)
LA LA LAND (Damien Chazelle)
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (Kenneth Lonergan)
MA' ROSA (Brillante Mendoza)
MONSTER CALLS, A (J.A. Bayona)
NOCTURNAL ANIMALS (Tom Ford)
RED TURTLE, THE (Michael Dudok de Wit)
ROAD TO MANDALAY, THE (Midi Z)
SILENCE (Martin Scorsese)
TONI ERDMANN (Maren Ade)
WAILING, THE (Na Hong-jin)
YOUR NAME (Makoto Shinkai)

My Favourite 10 Films of 2016
2.  ARRIVAL
4.  MA' ROSA
6.  ELLE

Honourable Mention:
11.  SILENCE

My Favourite 5 Directors of 2016
1.  Denis Villeneuve (ARRIVAL)
2.  Ken Loach (I, DANIEL BLAKE)
3.  Brillante Mendoza (MA' ROSA)
4.  Maren Ade (TONI ERDMANN)
5.  Martin Scorsese (SILENCE)

Honourable Mention:
6.  J.A. Bayona (A MONSTER CALLS)

No comments: