Wednesday, September 1, 2010
DECONSTRUCTING NOLAN'S REALIST DREAMSCAPE - A GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING INCEPTION
Please click on the links to access the different sections and sub-sections of my article.
SECTION 1 (Background)
- Definition of Key Terms
- Levels of Dream
SECTION 2 (Understanding Limbo)
- Two Schools of Thought
- My Theory of Limbo
- Is "Building Level" Limbo?
- Is Cobb and Mal's Dream Sequence Limbo?
SECTION 3 (Q&A)
- Old Saito sequence at the start of the film
- Audition sequence
- Post-audition sequence with Saito in helicopter
- Cobb's foot chase sequence at Mombasa
- Ariadne's "Paris" training sequence
- Cobb's memories sequence
- "Airplane level"
- "Van level"
- "Hotel level"
- "Snow level"
- "Building level"
- Old Saito sequence at the end of the film
- Ending sequence
SECTION 4 (Alternative Interpretations of Inception's Ending)
- Theory #1: Cobb went back to reality and was reunited with his children.
- Theory #2: Cobb was in a dream all along since the beginning of the film.
- Theory #3: The spinning top is a metaphor.
- Theory #4: Nothing in the film ever happened. It was all Cobb's dream.
- Theory #5: The subject of the inception mission was actually Cobb (inception-within-an-inception).
- Theory #6: Cobb was stuck in a closed-loop state designed by Ariadne.
- Theory #7: Cobb entered a deeper level of limbo.
- Theory #8: Cobb began to dream after he met Yusuf.
- Theory #9: Cobb dreamt of the final sequence while still in limbo with old Saito.
- Theory #10: Nolan committed inception on us.
Reported by Eternality Tan at 12:14 AM